ADS BY GOOGLE
What is the vigorexia?The bigorexia is a mental disorder in which the person becomes obsessed by his physical condition to pathological levels. These people have a distorted view of themselves, and they are weak and figure. For this reason, the disorder has a direct impact on their eating and living habits, and is characterized by an extreme physical activity, leaving the social relations and neglecting other aspects of his life, to devote all his time to train.
Exercise addiction is accompanied by an exaggerated intake of proteins and carbohydrates and the abusive consumption of substances such as anabolic steroidsto increase muscle mass and get a muscular body. This disorder is also known as Adonis complex, reverse anorexia or muscle dysmorphia.
The vigorexia, which is not recognized as a disease by the international medical community, mainly affects young men, aged between 18 and 35 years old. Its incidence is four of every ten thousand people.
Causes of the vigorexiaThe vigorexia may be caused by physiological or emotional problems almost always related to the environment of the affected.
The physiological problems are associated with disturbances in hormones and mediators of nerve transmission in the Central nervous system.
In the event that this disorder appears linked to the patient's relationship with their environment, are involved social, educational, and cultural factors that influence so that the individual may develop a type of obsessive personality.
Symptoms and complications of the vigorexiaThe main symptoms that show people with vigorexia are:
- Low self-esteem.
- Trend towards self-medication.
- Follow diets high in protein and carbohydrates and low in fat, which usually include steroids and anabolic products.
- They suffer a distortion of body image, and often continuously take a look in the mirror and be weak.
- They are continually weighed.
- They are obsessed with the cult of the body.
- Every day, dedicated his free time to a comprehensive training.
- They are socially isolated.
- They have a disproportionate body.
Complications of the vigorexiaThe attitude and habits of life adopted by the vigorexicos have as a consequence a number of organic problems and injuries caused by excess of exercise and a diet unbalanced with abuse of doping substances. These patients may develop possible complications include: cardiovascular diseases, liver or renal injury, prostate cancer, testicular atrophy, and erectile dysfunction.
In addition, the burden of excessive weight during the sessions in the gym resents the bones, muscles and joints, especially those of the lower limbs, and can result in sprains and tears.
Diet modification may also cause eating disorders. The abuse of anabolic to try to improve physical performance and increase muscle volume resulting in disorders such as:
- Disorder of the menstrual cycle in women.
- Appearance of acne.
- Heart problems.
- Testicular atrophy.
- Reduction in the volume of sperm.
- Fluid retention.
Treatment of the vigorexiaA common problem for those affected by bigorexia is that not sick, are considered so you tend to go to the doctor when the disorder is very advanced, or has progressed to an obsessive-compulsive disorder, anorexia or bulimia. It is essential, therefore, that the person recognizes that it suffers from the disorder and is willing to undergo treatment to overcome it. The goal of treatment should be to modify behavior and the patient distorted perception of his own body.
Indicated a treatment that combines psychological aspects (cognitive behavioural therapy), nutritional and pharmacological. As for other emotional disorders and disorders of eating behavior, such as anorexia and bulimia, the support of loved ones of the patient is essential to improve.
Likewise, it is important to reduce the number of hours the patient engaged in exercise, and replace this activity by others to their liking, which also relates to other people, so that they become to feel included in society and acquire new habits and hobbies, in order to achieve his obsession is reduced by the cult of the body.
Forecast and prevention of the vigorexiaThe bigorexia is a serious disorder, and its recovery will depend on several factors, as the moment they begin treatment, the way in which the patient front problem and the means available to do so, the support received by the society, and the presence of other associated emotional problems.
You have to take into account that it is a condition that can become chronic and lead to more complex syndromes, so already not could speak of recovery, but rather control the disorder and to prevent relapses.
Prevention of the vigorexiaHere are some clues that can help you prevent the bigorexia:
- It is not bad or pathological wish to have an attractive body image, but all those who begin to become obsessed with this topic must be vigilant, and ask for help if that desire begins to become a problem that interferes with their relationships and their emotional well-being.
- Exercise is very healthy, but all the free this time it cannot be reversed. If you notice an excessive addiction to the gym, should reduce progressively the hours spent in training, replacing them with other types of activity.
- It is very important to not fall into this kind of disorders care for personal relationships and share leisure time with other people.
- The people in the environment of the patient can also be seen signs that indicate that it may have the condition: socially isolated, spends too many hours to train, change your diet, complains of being slim and enclenque..., and intervene as soon as possible to help you.