Biodynamic farming is an alternative type of agriculture whose main characteristic is to understand the farm as an independent and self-sufficient organism that is capable of produce everything you need to stay without resorting to products from abroad. Thus, the production, distribution, and local selling prioritizes food versus industrial production and large-scale, ensuring the conservation of land and natural resources in the long term. should not confuse organic farming with biodynamics, because although they share similarities, such that neither toxic pesticides and herbicides are used, or both of which are sustainable and respect the natural ecosystems are characterized biodynamic foods which have been grown on a yearly calendar that is based on the rhythms sun and moon, and other mystical beliefs that provide them additional benefits assumptions. creator of biodynamic agriculture, the philosopher Rudolf Steiner believed in the influence of the cosmos on all living beings, and by extension, on agriculture and crop cycles. Therefore, the followers of this method takes into account forces and energies esoteric-cosmic-values, or the position of the sun and moon, to choosing the best time to perform all agricultural tasks.
Features of biodynamic agricultureThere is a seal of quality , DEMETER , which is used to certify that a food is biodynamic and to achieve this, it is necessary to proceed to a culture system that meets the standards of biodynamic agriculture, whose main features are:
- The farm is a self-sufficient body , and combines agriculture and livestock to take advantage of all the possibilities offered and maintained without external products.
- You can not use chemicals on crops, fertilizers or pesticides.
- Planting and harvesting are to follow a biodynamic calendar is based on lunar phases and the position of the planets. The astrological rhythms are what determine the most favorable time for each farm work.
- To fertilize the soil using natural fertilizers such as compost, and what is known as biodynamic preparations , which consist of homeopathic substances, concentrated manure, and other vegetable substances, animals and minerals, which have undergone a process of course rhythms natural on the farm.
- Seed selection is key, as those that have greater biological quality are chosen, more resistant to pests, better soil and climate adapted ...
- Pests and weeds are controlled by crop rotation, plant association, and homeopathic products from plants with properties to remove insects, fungi and parasites, and chemical pesticides that are absolutely prohibited.