Didactic Encyclopedia


SEARCH CONTENTS

Custom Search

What are the major religions?

ADS BY GOOGLE

In the following article we will explore large religions in terms of its number of adherents, of course, since all religions are equally important in his role as compliant as a system of beliefs and rituals (seeking to explain the mysteries of life and death), moral codes for the development of individuals and societies. He is that the great religions of the world, there are five, as we shall see below.

These five major religions, which cover approximately 70% of the world population, are present in different continents and countries. Moreover, practically in all countries of the world, in greater or lesser percentage, most of these religions coexist. That is due to different waves of immigrants, that have occurred in the history of mankind.

Within these faiths we have Christianity in the first place. This faith, carries approximately 33.4% of the world's population. Christianity encompasses all the teachings preached by Christ, and what was written in the old testament. The teachings of Christ, were found in 24 books, which were written and compiled, by the Apostles and their disciples, which formed the New Testament. Both Testaments, make up the Bible, the most widely read around the World Book.

Secondly we have Islam. This is because that comprises of the believing world population, something like a 17.7%. The maximum Prophet of this religion, is Muhammad, and its holy book, the Quran. As a mythical city, they have to Mecca, where believers from around the world, should pray in that address at least five times a day. This ritual should be carried out at a sacred carpet, not to touch ordinary land. They should also visit a sacred pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime. The Centre of the city, there is a great column, which at the Summit of the pilgrimage, throwing him stones, that symbolizes the figure of Satan, overcome by the good.

The third of the great religions, we have Hinduism with 13.4%. Hindus believe in the immortality of the soul and in a permanent cycle of reincarnation or transmigration of souls. At the end of this process, you will reach the infinite knowledge and will finish with reincarnation. Similarly, believe in karma, i.e. that the actions in a life will have repercussions that will even determine the next reincarnation.

Fourthly, we have Buddhism, with approximately 5.7%. All the teachings of this religion, come from what was said by the Buddha. Which are defined by means of the four noble truths. I.e. all existence is suffering, the cause of suffering is desire, the Elimination of desire is the end of suffering, and the means of overcoming the desires is to follow a form of righteous living, which by includes the correct meditation to achieve nirvana or liberation from desire or suffering.

Last, but not least, we have to Judaism, with 0.3% of the population. The pillars of the same, are the Prophet Abraham, Moses and the ten commandments, and above all, belief in a single God, refer to who as Yahweh. They have as a holy book, the Torah, which is the Jewish traditional designation for the Pentateuch: the first five books of the old testament. That is, Genesis, exodus, Leviticus, numbers and Deuteronomy.

Seen above are the major religions in terms of adherents, which include the already mentioned 70%. The remaining 30% of the population, says believes in other religions or none. It is estimated that approximately 8% of the population is theistic, i.e. you believe in God or the divine, but not in any religion in particular.
Translated for educational purposes.
Meanings, definitions, concepts of daily use

SEARCH CONTENTS

Custom Search

ADD THIS