ADS BY GOOGLE
Coaching, leading change
It is very likely that throughout your life you've felt at some point the need for a change. Maybe
you want a new job, improve the relationship with your partner, find
yourself better physically, Ascend's position in your company... However,
it is also possible that you won't find the way to achieve those
purposes and finally fell in the frustration or immobility. From that feeling of inability, coaching is one of the techniques that can better show you the way to achieve your goals.
Coaching is a process during which a professional (the coach) asks questions to his pupil (the coachee) during a conversation that reflect on your current situation and find the answers that will enable it to achieve its goals by itself. This support helps people explore inside to find their potential, their talent and their strengths, so that they can resolve the situations that previously seemed unattainable.
While therapy aims to resolve conflicts related to the past, the coaching analyzes the present future
But to make this tool for personal development success attitude is essential. If there is a real will for change or is not invested the effort needed to carry it out, the coaching is little. Therefore, it is imperative that students know that, as it maintains the main premise of this discipline, "the engine of change is oneself".
It should take into account that this method is a psychological therapy nor advice. It's a side in which both the problem and the solution are based on the student. While therapy aims to resolve conflicts related to the past, coaching analyzes the present to face the future. On the other hand, unlike the advice, in coaching both the goals and the steps to have their origin in the reflections of the own coachee and not Advisory.
Origins of the coaching
The origins of coaching (which means 'training') are found in the United States, in the mid-1970s; Although some specialists in the field claim that it has influences of philosophers such as Socrates, Aristotle and Plato. In
that decade, this technique began to apply in sport to motivate
athletes facing defeats or help them overcome the frustrations.
Since the 1980s, that procedure was moved to the field professional, first among executives, to help them make decisions within companies, and later between employees and work teams of companies. Results were so positive in this field, which were then emerging new coaching specialties applicable to personal life or health.
Over more than three decades, the popularity of coaching has grown exponentially and has spread from the United States to virtually all parts of the world, with special interest in Europe and Latin America.
Types of coaching
Today there are many specialties of
coaching: sports, business, Executive, personal, political, childish,
nutrition, development... In fact, the method is the same in all its variants, but they apply to different aspects of the life of a person. Coaching types that currently have more pull are the following:
• Coaching staff: is used to help people solve their internal conflicts, complicated situations or some aspect of his life that he do not feel satisfied. That this discipline is also known as "life coaching". This technique can help you solve a bad time with your partner, improve your image, you get your bearings in the studies, communicate better or gain self-confidence. They are just a few examples, but you can apply to any personal problems.
• Executive Coaching: is aimed at those responsible for making the big decisions in companies. Executives and managers use this type of coaching to enhance their management capabilities, better support the weight of the responsibility or resolve conflicts between employees. Other objectives in this procedure can be adapt to a change of company, assuming a new post or direct acquisition of another company.
• Business Coaching: focuses on the employees of a company, either individually or in group. The companies that resort to this method tend to seek further development of their business through the cohesion of the team, a higher motivation of employees and the commitment of the people with the organization. But it also offers results in resolving internal disputes, improve communication between workers or clarify the objectives pursued by the entity.
• Coaching for employment: because of the economic crisis, this type of coaching has gained popularity in recent years. The objectives identified in this procedure are related to job search, either because you want to change of scenery, because the person is in a situation of unemployment or to return to the workforce after a break.
• Coaching sport: mainly delves into the motivation of professionals in this field, not only athletes, but also coaches or referees. Sports coaching helps to discover the athlete leadership and develop hidden abilities. The process can achieve that losses or serious injuries drawing positive conclusions from the experience exceed.
• Coaching of health: this variety is aimed at promoting health and improving the welfare of the people. Through this type of coaching we can adopt healthy habits that help us to live better, as for example delete vices, eat healthier or lose weight. Of course, the coaching of health does not cure diseases or replaces the work of physicians; You can simply show us the way to improve our quality of life.
What is a coaching session?
Coaching sessions consist of a conversation
between the coach and the Ward (coachee), in which latter reflects loud
about their situation and manifest his purposes. The
coach accompanies him in the process and asks you specific questions
that invite you to consider their strengths and weaknesses. The intention is to the coachee to find answers that will enable it to clarify their ideas.
Each meeting tends to last about an hour and a half. In them, the coach helps the student to articulate their thoughts through the questions asks you. If the ward is diverted at some point in the path that are charting, the coach redirects it to him to pose new questions.
As a general rule, meetings take place once a week or every two weeks, but the entire process since the first coaching session takes place until one gets to the goal can extend from a few months to several years. At that time go through different phases which pass through identifying the problem, awareness of it, establish a roadmap and carry out.
Choose an expert in coaching
It is essential that the coach and the
coachee to establish a bond of trust as soon as possible, since during
the conversation they come to light inside the student's feelings. Otherwise, it would be very complicated professional given with keys that bottle-necks the ward towards its objectives.
There are different modalities for developing the method of coaching: can be individually, in groups, face-to-face, over the telephone, via e-mail or through presentations. Any of them is valid, since this technique is based on the language.
If you want to start a process of coaching we recommend identifying well previously your goals to choose the course of coaching that best suits your purposes. In addition, it is advisable that you check the price with various professionals, because the truth is that you can vary greatly depending on the experience of the coach or the course you choose. If we take Spain as orientation, rates can range from 50 euros for a personal coaching session to more than 2,000 euros for the Executive Variant.
But it is especially important that before des with the appropriate professional. The popularity of this method has grown so much in recent years, which is not difficult to find many self-proclaimed coach who do not have adequate training. Remember that a true professional should possess a degree in coaching and be backed up by any national or international certification institutions which exist, such as for example the International Coach Federation. Following this pattern you can distinguish a talkative Extrovert from an authentic coach that you place on the road to success.