What is the Meaning of Adverb | Concept and Definition of Adverb


Meanings, definitions, concepts of daily use

The invariable Word class that acts as the core of the adverbial phrase or as background of the verb complement is known as an adverb. These words modify adjectives, verbs, or other adverbs.
There are different types of adverbs that add circumstantial information to a word or a complete sentence. 'Now', 'far', 'tomorrow', 'difficult' and 'quickly' are adverbs of different class.
Examples: "the gift of Jean is hidden behind the Cabinet", "It is too hot here", "I can't wait to eat croissants, but bakery is too far", "don't worry, it's a problem that is easily solved", "the old man walked slowly toward the Chair and fell.
Adverbs of place information on space: "package that the factor brought you is there", "I did not bad there, is more down," "the man threw himself on the thief to prevent it from escaping.
The adverbs of time, however, provide temporal information: "Yesterday we ate the meat in the oven with potatoes", «I'm busy at the moment, I'll do it earlier, "I think that we arrived in advance."
Adverbs intensity or amount, in turn, relate to the quantification: "it cost us much less than what we thought", "I have not much money," "Fabien is very talkative", "the tank is completely dirty.
There are other adverbs such as adverbs of manner ("He played impeccably and has obtained the qualification for the quarter-finals", "walk more gently, please"), adverbs of assertion ('indeed, my name is Anthony', "what you say is true"), adverbs of negation ('I will never do such a thing!', "Me either, I'm not agree") and adverbs of doubt ("did you drink by chance?" (, "It is probably the best player in history"), among others.
Translated for educational purposes